Sign In Forgot Password

The Hebrew Benevolent Society was formed in 1857/8, some two years before Beth El Hebrew Congregation, and it operates the Home of Peace Cemetery in Old Town Alexandria on South Payne and Franklin Streets. In 1860, the Society made its original purchase of land from the Washington Street Methodist Church for use as a Jewish cemetery, which the Society enlarged with subsequent purchases. The Society is an adjunct of Beth El Hebrew Congregation, its president is a member of the Beth El Board of Directors, and the Beth El Board designates a member of the Society's Board. The society meets once a year to elect officers and conduct business, and there is an annual memorial service on the Sunday between Rosh Hashannah and Yom Kippur.

Purchase of a lot at Home of Peace confers membership in the Society and is limited to Jewish members of Beth El Hebrew congregation or the non-Jewish spouse of such a member. Owners of lots continue as members of the Society regardless of their later affiliation with Beth El. The Society is committed to Reform principals and permits the burial of non-Jewish spouses as well as the children of lot owners and their spouses. The Society also allows urn burials. Funerals are usually conducted by Beth El's clergy in coordination with the Society and a local funeral home. Similarly, Beth El's clergy are available for unveilings. If you have any questions, please contact the current president at gilah.goldsmith@gmail.com.

Sun, March 29 2020 4 Nisan 5780